NYC LOCAL: Sunday 26 March 2006 New Yorkers for Fair Use Meeting: Call f

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Sunday 26 March 2006 New Yorkers for Fair Use Meeting: Call for Participation
Date: 23 Mar 2006 21:57:09 -0500

  what="official NYFU announcement">

 Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 21:08:19 -0500
 From: Seth Johnson <seth.johnson@RealMeasures.dyndns.org>

 New Yorkers for Fair Use Call for Participation

 New Yorkers for Fair Use will meet this Sunday, 26 March 2006 at
 6:00 pm, at the Gyro Place and Bagel and Pizza Joint across the
 street from Cooper Union, at Astor Place, that is, Eighth
 Street/St Marks and Third Avenue. The Lexington Avenue subway
 line has a stop at Astor Place.  The Gyro Place is about one half
 block east of the stop.  Look in the back for us.

 Next Friday, March 30, New Yorkers for Fair Use will testify to
 the Copyright Office in Washington, DC, showing that Palladiation
 of computers is far worse than the Sony BMG rootkit, and arguing
 against the forcing of rootkits into personal computers by 2008.

 The struggle for information freedom continues.  Come join us!

 Today special interests grossly abuse copyright law in large
 scale attacks on private ownership of computers, and on free
 private, tribal, business, and public use of the Net.  The
 special interests have money and lobbyists, but they are no match
 for serious, coordinated action.  And all their money and all
 their lobbyists cannot elect one member of Congress or one
 Senator, if we build a movement that clearly communicates what
 the stakes are to the voters and the public, the true
 stakeholders in these policy decisions.

 We have had a number of successes in recent months:

 - We pulled together a broad base of constituents in support of a
 Joint Statement calling for Congress to begin public proceedings
 regarding the proposed WIPO Broadcasters Treaty, presently being
 pursued by the US Delegation to WIPO under executive branch
 treaty-making authority.  This statement was individually
 addressed and hand delivered to the Chairpersons and Ranking
 Members of all relevant Congressional Committees, some 60
 recipients in both the House and the Senate, on March 15 and 16,
 2006:

 http://www.nyfairuse.org/action/wipo.xcast/xcast.jointstatement.xhtml

 - Brought together an historic gathering of advocates for a
 special meeting with the US Delegation to WIPO on the
 Broadcasters Treaty this February 8, 2006.  The meeting
 participants called for this treaty to be taken up in appropriate
 representative and legislative channels, including publication in
 the Federal Register, where it can be subjected to adequate
 public and expert review and comment:

 http://www.nyfairuse.org/action/wipo.xcast/xcast.usdelmeet.xhtml

 We are taking on formidable forces, and we call on advocates of
 freedom to join in the movement, to defend what we now hold, and
 to attack on many fronts.

 Come on down this Sunday and join us!

 Seth Johnson
 Corresponding Secretary