Re: Do I have to release the patch for a GPL software under GPL?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Do I have to release the patch for a GPL software under GPL?
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 22:12:07 +0200

"Dancefire" <dancefire@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for reply. I am not going to break the freedom. I just want
> to clear the border of free.
>
> For example, if there is a military organization want to use Linux
> as a kernel of their operating system, but, of course, they have to
> patch the kernel for extra secure. However, for security reason,
> they can't make the patch public. So what should they do? Forget
> Linux and use *BSD instead? Or they can use the patched Linux kernel
> without public it.

Sure.  No need publishing.

> This maybe is simple, since the kernel is not given to anyone, only
> internal using. It's get more complex if they give the kernel/patch
> to another military/security agent organization. Do they have to
> make the patch open?

As long as the other organization is acting on their behalf, as their
agent, not becoming owner of any physical media containing the
software, this should not be a problem.

> I am trying to make its possible to use Linux under this situation,

Oh, there is nothing you can do in that respect.

> otherwise, *BSD is the only choice.

If you call that a choice.  You might want to read the GPL FAQ.