Re: relicensing from MIT to LGPL

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: relicensing from MIT to LGPL
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 09:28:27 +0200 (CEST)

   > Sublicense doesn't mean "relicense" under the any terms
   > you like. It just means that you, as a licensee, got the
   > permission to enter into a contract with other parties
   > [snip] conveying rights reserved to copyright owner(s)
   > under the terms of the MIT license.

   Ohhhhhh. I see now. Thank you for the clarification!

Terekhov did not clarify anything, infact, he has only muddled
everything and as usual does not make sense.  The GPL is not a
contract, neither is the MIT license.  Sub-license means exactly what
it means, licensing a work under one or more licenses.

In short, slap the GPL onto the MIT licensed work, don't remove the
original copyright notice (keep the `permission notice' as required by
the MIT license), and you are just fine.  Infact, check the list of
free software licenses at
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html for licenses that are
compatible with the GPL (i.e. you can sub-license works which use
these licenses).

Cheers.