Re: Do I have to release the patch for a GPL software under GPL?

From: Graham Murray
Subject: Re: Do I have to release the patch for a GPL software under GPL?
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 10:33:37 +0100

gordonb.olt45@burditt.org (Gordon Burditt) writes:

> Now, I, Evil Bill Fence Door, copyright this patch, sell it with
> onerous copy protection, and for $1,000,000 a copy.  The license
> that comes with it prohibits re-distribution of the patch.  Note
> that I'm *not* re-distributing any GPL-licensed software.  It's up
> to the customer to get it himself.

But the recipient has no need to re-distribute the patch. Applying the
patch generates a derived work of the software being patched. So, if
the original software is licenced under the GPL then the derived work
will be as well. Therefore the recipient of the patch is allowed,
under the terms of the GPL, the distribute the patched software.