Re: Do I have to release the patch for a GPL software under GPL?

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Do I have to release the patch for a GPL software under GPL?
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 12:59:47 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:

> Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> writes:
>
> > I don't care what you say. Thanks to Wallace, the GPL drafter is on
> > record: <quote> In fact, the GPL itself rejects any automatic
> > aggregation of software copyrights under the GPL simply because one
> > program licensed under the GPL is distributed together with another
> > program
>
> "together with" does not describe the relationship of Siamese twins.

And what's the relevance of that remark? Under Berne Convention
software is protected as literary works. The mechanism of linking
is irrelevant.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/Licensing-HOWTO.html

<quote>

consider the case of two scientific papers which reference each other.
The fact that paper B calls paper A (references it for support) does
not make B a derivative work of A. This remains true whether B and A
are published together in a symposium (analogous to static linkage) or
separately (analogous to dynamic linkage). Computer programs are
defined in 17 USC as literary works

</quote>