Re: Do I have to release the patch for a GPL software under GPL?

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Do I have to release the patch for a GPL software under GPL?
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 22:48:57 +0200 (CEST)

   > No, you are wrong.  Please read some basic copyright law.  You
   > haven't even bothered opening any law codex so it is a waste of
   > my time to explain such basic things to you, sorry.

   It's always nice to see people resulting to insults when they ran
   out of arguments. You know nothing about me or my (copyright law
   student) background.

Please look up in a dictionary what constitutes an insult, and how it
is different from not wanting to waste my time with quibbling with
people who are to lazy to read law codexes.

   At least I know the difference between telling people "please make
   a copy of page 6" and giving them a copy. That's good enough for my
   professor. If it's not good enough for you, tough.

Once again you confuse oranges with stones.  `copy page 6' can be
applied to any book/article/essay/etc that is >= 6 pages long and you
will get a useful result.  `Add foo at line 1, 5, 7.  Remove line 7,
8, 10' cannot produce an useful result for all or even most works, it
can only produce something useful for a very limited range (and that
range grows smaller the more instructions you have about where to
modify the work in questions), and this is clearly a deriviate since
it is clearly based on a different work.  That you do not actually
refer to the specific parts by name is completely and utterly
irrelevant.

This is my last message on the subject with you.