Re: GPL and inhouse use?

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: GPL and inhouse use?
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 14:38:58 -0500

> Well, suppose, hypothetically, that you added a lot of code to the
> kernel/base distribution, stripped out some of the base distribution
> stuff (like X or whaever) too in order to create a really robust and
> unique testing environment for testing new computer systems. You'd want
> to keep that inhouse to prevent your competition from gaining the same
> advantage that you just worked months or years to create.

We were discussing the Linux kernel.  Now you are talking about a
distribution: not the same thing at all.  A distribution is a compilation
and you must deal with each package individually as its individual license
requires.

It also appears that you labor under the common delusion that every package
in a Linux distribution falls under the GPL.  This is far from true.  The X
license, for example, is similar to the BSD license.

> You'd want to keep that inhouse to prevent your competition from gaining
> the same advantage that you just worked months or years to create.

Speak for yourself.

> Thats one idea that comes to mind that, if it were my company, I wonldnt
> want to share with the world.

After all, you wouldn't want to end up like Red Hat...
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org