Re: DLL Copyright

From: Jacob JKW
Subject: Re: DLL Copyright
Date: 15 May 2006 22:57:41 -0700

Thankls for the response.

Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> Jacob JKW wrote:
> > The following happens:
> >
> > 1) Source code to an executable is released under the GPL by author #1.
> > 2) Source code is lightly modified by author #2 and then included as a
> > DLL bundled with a new GPL app by a author #2.
> >
> > How should the copyright info be handled?
> You mean copyright on bundle and individual binaries?
Exactly.

> (external templates, complex macros, and components in object code form
> "statically linked" with executables and shared libs aside for a moment)
>
> DLL copyright: author #1, author #2.
So in other words, the copyright on the DLL should read: (C) 200X
Auth#1, 200Y Auth#2?

> app copyright: author #2 (assuming that app doesn't contain any protected
> expression from source code to an executable by author #1).
>
> bundle copyright (on a compilation work under copyright law): author #2
> (let's put aside originality hurdle).
I probably could have stood to have been slightly more specific,
Although the app links dynamically to the DLL, the app itself is
largely just an interface to the object wrappers (also created by
author #2) in the library.

Example: Calculator (say) app written by author #1. Author #2 scraps
author #1's interface, adds a few minor features, creates object
wrappers, coverts the app into a DLL, and builds a new interface that
links to the library at run time.

To me it doesn't seems 100% kosher for author #1 to lose the copyright
on the bundled app as the application engine is his work.

Any opinions on this or am I overthinking it?

Many thanks,
J.