Re: Hey Terekhov: Wallace lost. Who'd guess.... ;)

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Hey Terekhov: Wallace lost. Who'd guess.... ;)
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 14:17:23 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:

> Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> writes:
>
> > I just can't see how Wallace could possibly lose on appeal.
>
> Before "losing" he actually has to get a case open.  His last attempt
> was thrown out of court, remember?  And you could not see how he could
> _lose_ then, either.  Let alone have his case thrown out.

Yes, I remember. Both rulings are at odds with Supreme Court dictum
on predatory pricing causing antitrust injury. Both Judges simply
pulled rabbits out of their hats. To quote the author of
www.rdantitrustlaw.info/shaky.pdf ("More generally, competitors may
never be heard to complain of artificially low prices unless they
are predatory, because it is only predatorily low prices that
threaten injury to competition.94 94) Id. at 339–40. The Court's
discussion was consistent with the Brunswick dictum on predatory
pricing. See Brunswick, 429 U.S. at 489 n.14 (where there is true
predation (not just uncomfortably aggressive price cutting), a
competitor's lost profits do count as antitrust injury, even though
the predatory practice temporarily benefits consumers)."):

"Antitrust injury" has been confused with many other things. Notably,
it is not a rabbit for the judge to pull out of his hat when the
complaint alleges a violation but the court wants to dismiss the case
anyway, but cannot think of a good reason to dismiss it."

> You should offer to pay all his legal fees for a cut in the spoils you
> are so sure he is about to receive.

I've been told that appeal fee is $250. I don't think that Wallace
needs any financial help from me.

www.gnu.org/gnu/manifesto.html

"GNU will remove operating system software from the realm of
competition. You will not be able to get an edge in this area, but
neither will your competitors be able to get an edge over you. You
and they will compete in other areas, while benefiting mutually in
this one. If your business is selling an operating system, you will
not like GNU, but that's tough on you. If your business is
something else, GNU can save you from being pushed into the
expensive business of selling operating systems."