Re: GPL and inhouse use?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GPL and inhouse use?
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 13:32:44 +0200

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:

>    >    > As I said to David, I was talking about code that offers a
>    >    > service to the public.
>    >
>    >    So every Web site, every shell provider, every search engine
>    >    running any GPL software would have to distribute source to
>    >    every user.
>    >
>    > Every user who has access to the Program, yes.  This is all
>    > perfecly reasonable.
>
>    In your opinion, which differs quite from that of the FSF and
>    pretty much everybody else.
>
> I was answering a specific concern `code that offers a service to
> the public'.

Which would include a copy of GNU/Linux and/or Firefox running on a
public library computer.  It is not "perfectly reasonable" for anybody
but yourself to demand that the library will then consequently be
forced to hand out copies of the source code on demand.

Not even the FSF has such a contorted view of things.

> Please David, learn to read instead of resorting to Terkhovian
> methods.

Pointing out that your views are not shared by anybody else is hardly
"Terkhovian".