Re: Hey Terekhov: Wallace lost. Who'd guess.... ;)

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
Subject: Re: Hey Terekhov: Wallace lost. Who'd guess.... ;)
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 17:13:23 +0100

Qua, 2006-05-17 às 14:17 +0200, Alexander Terekhov escreveu:
> I've been told that appeal fee is $250. I don't think that Wallace
> needs any financial help from me.
>
> www.gnu.org/gnu/manifesto.html
>
> "GNU will remove operating system software from the realm of
> competition. You will not be able to get an edge in this area, but
> neither will your competitors be able to get an edge over you. You
> and they will compete in other areas, while benefiting mutually in
> this one. If your business is selling an operating system, you will
> not like GNU, but that's tough on you. If your business is
> something else, GNU can save you from being pushed into the
> expensive business of selling operating systems."

Of course not, the court decided as such because anti-monopoly laws
exist to benefit _consumers_ and not companies that make business.

If someone can have a (arguably for some) better operating system at a
very competitive cost (zero for some GNU/Linux distributions, but not
all since it's frequently found at a price on commercial exploitations
such as Red Hat Enterprise and Suse Enterprise), if said software even
fosters a cooperation environment that facilitates innovations, then the
consumer did benefit.

Wallace further failed to prove cause for complaint... hence dismissed
for futility.

Rui