Re: what is the current status of GPL v3

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: what is the current status of GPL v3
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 11:50:54 +0200 (CEST)

   > GNU isn't, it is a operating system, a single entity, developed by
   > the FSF.

   Since when is X11 developed by the FSF?

What does a protocol have to do with this?

   You are making a spectacle of yourself again.  There is no need to
   contradict _everything_ Alexander says.

>From the GNU project web page:

| The GNU Project was launched in 1984 to develop a complete UNIX like
| operating system which is free software: the GNU system (GNU is a
| recursive acronym for "GNU's Not UNIX"; it is pronounced guh-noo,
>| like canoe.)

>From the GNU manifest:

| GNU, which stands for Gnu's Not Unix, is the name for the complete
| Unix-compatible software system which I am writing so that I can
| give it away free to everyone who can use it.(1) Several other
| volunteers are helping me.  Contributions of time, money, programs
| and equipment are greatly needed.

   There are those rare moments in between where he accidentally
   happens to be correct about something.

This isn't one of those times.  There is a common confusion around,
among GNU hackers too it seems, that GNU is a bunch of tools, it
isn't.  It is a single entity, an operating system.