Re: what is the current status of GPL v3

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: what is the current status of GPL v3
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 13:09:11 +0200 (CEST)

   "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:

   >    No.  GNU is the system that the GNU project is putting together.
   >
   > No? So Emacs isn't part of the GNU system?  Do you mean that Richard
   > never ever _really_ intended Emacs to be part of GNU system? And that
   > it was an evil plot to make you act in this absurd way?

   Your strawmen get more ridiculous by the minute.

Strawmen? It is _you_ who claimed that a FTP client was not part of
the GNU system.

   >    Parts of this system are actually developed by the GNU projects,
   >    others are just assembled.
   >
   > http://www.gnu.org: "to develop a complete UNIX like operating
   > system" I don't see anything about being assembled.  Care you quote?

   And so forth and so on.  You think those guys are lying and in reality
   this code has been written by RMS, or what?

What does RMS writting things have to do with this?  Must everything
that is part of the GNU system have to be written by RMS or something?
I guess since that isn't the case, large parts of GNU Emacs are really
not part of the GNU system since they where not written by RMS.
Neither is GDB in its current state part of the GNU system since RMS
didn't write this current reincarnation of GDB.

Seriously, what is wrong with you today, David?

   > That is nice, I'm talking about the GNU operating system as
   > developed by the GNU project, which is sponsored by the FSF.
   > Which is what you, and I, are working on.  I find it amazing that
   > a long time GNU hacker as yourself has no knowledge of what GNU
   > actually is.

   I find it amazing that you live in your fairy world where you let
   no realities intrude on your "insights" seemingly solely based on
   reading the GNU Manifesto and interpreting it as gospel instead of
   a statement of intent and persuasion.

So you don't like the GNU manifesto, or the GNU web pages, what about
the GCS?  I guess that too is gospel.

| Developing the GNU operating system is the whole point of the GNU
| Project; a GNU package exists to make the whole GNU system more
| powerful.

But all knowing David is obviously right, we aren't _really_
developing an operating system, we are mearly assembling it.  We
didn't _really_ write compilers, editors, and what not; it was all
verbatim from BSD4.4...  Nah, it is I who live in the fairy land where
the whole point of the GNU project is to `develop the GNU operating
system'; me and the rest of the GNU hackers including St. IGNUcius and
Karl Berry who actually wrote the above pragraph.