Re: what is the current status of GPL v3

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: what is the current status of GPL v3
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 15:44:43 +0200

> David Kastrup wrote:
>>
>> Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> writes:
>>
>> > Why don't you simply check it yourself. There's tons of separate
>> > and independent bodies of code in the Linux kernel and they are
>> > even under different licenses.
>>
>> Does not make them independent.  For that reason, no
>> GPL-incompatible parts are admitted into the kernel.
>
> GPL-(in)compatiblity is a fiction.

Tell that to the courts.

> Please bare in your mind that <quote> In fact, the GPL itself
> rejects any automatic aggregation of software copyrights under the
> GPL simply because one program licensed under the GPL is distributed
> together with another program that is not licensed under the GPL:
> "In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the
> Program with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a
> volume of a storage or distribution medium does not bring the other
> work under the scope of this License. </quote>
> http://www.terekhov.de/Wallace_v_FSF_37.pdf

We all know that you can quote.  Too bad you don't understand what you
quote.  "mere aggregation of another work not based on the program" is
hardly fitting for individual source files of the kernel.  If there
was a common driver format or API for Linux and other system, there
would be some possibility for aggregation of independent material.  As
it is, there is little opportunity for such: binary driver interfaces
are not fixed with Linux.