Re: what is the current status of GPL v3

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: what is the current status of GPL v3
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 07:28:18 +0000

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote on Thu, 18 May 2006 12:48:28 +0200:

>>    There is a difference between assembling a system, and developing
>>    its components.  The FSF certainly does not develop X11.

>> Neither does the FSF develop FTP, SMTP, Gopher, HTTP, ....  I fail
>> to see what protocols have to do with this.

> The topic is the programs and libraries constituting a GNU system.  And
> those are to a significant degree developed by third parties and used
> as components in a compilation.

THIRD parties?  OK, the FSF is one party, so who's the second party?
Hey, isn't free software all just one big party?  Or are we going to go
the Groucho Marx route?  "In this licence, the party of the third part
shall be known as the party of the third part"; "Hey, don't like this bit
either." ......

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter