Re: GPL licenced Java application using non GPL jars (libraries)

From: Ben
Subject: Re: GPL licenced Java application using non GPL jars (libraries)
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 20:06:59 +0100

Hi,

Much as I'd like to argue the specifics of the GPL the original problem still stands. The third party jars are used via method calls, not by inheritance. Even so the GPL is too vague. I suspect as a small development if it went to court I could argue that there was no intent to deliberately violate the licence, I intended to benefit society, and due to the vagueness of the licence the general consensus/common sense would hold true. However I won't be releasing the software under GPL (yet) because of the potential risk.

I've emailed license@gnu.org to get a response to the following:
-----
Hi,

I represent a small team of developers who have a project we would like to release under the GPL. The code is written in Java, however it uses a number of dynamically linked "jar" libraries, these are open source but fall under other licences, e.g. Apache, CPL etc.

Can we distribute the project source and binary with the additional non GPL jars under the GPL - i.e. the other licences remain intact?

Failing that can we distribute the source for the project under the GPL -including mention of the non GPL classes in the source- and distribute the non GPL jars separately, for building by the end user?

Thank you for your time - its appreciated,

Benjamin
-----

Common sense says that dynamically linking should be allowed, but the vagueness of the licence may be preventing this and other software from being truly open source. I suspect the licence is deliberately vague because of the difficultly of defining the clauses.

Benjamin

Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:
On Sun, 21 May 2006 17:55:07 +0100