Re: GPL licenced Java application using non GPL jars (libraries)

From: Stefaan A Eeckels
Subject: Re: GPL licenced Java application using non GPL jars (libraries)
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 01:04:47 +0200

On Mon, 22 May 2006 21:53:50 +0100
Ben <na@na.com> wrote:

> So you're saying that the copyright owners of the third party jars
> the software uses cannot sue me for changing their licencing terms if
> I distribute the binary version of my software with their jars?

Do the licenses to these jars give you the right to redistribute them?

> (Again this assumes the GPL licence affects all libraries that are
> linked to my code).

The GPL only affects what has been licensed under the GPL.

You do not need to distribute your code with the jars. First, having
a program dependent on a particular version is bad karma. Second, many
people don't want multiple instances of the same library (especially
different versions) on their systems. Third, if these libraries are
freely available from a reputable source, there is no need to add them
to your distribution. Fourth, it avoids all license issues.

Just distribute your product under a license that achieves what you
want.

--
Stefaan A Eeckels