Re: Looking for an open source license..

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Looking for an open source license..
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 00:40:34 +0200

John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> writes:

> Amanjit Gill writes:
>> Yes, but as soon as it ends up as being GPL it can never go back to BSD.
>
> No.  Code released under the BSD license remains under the BSD
> license.  The derivative work created by combining BSD and GPL code
> may only be distributed under the GPL, but you can pull out the BSD
> stuff (assuming you can't find the original BSD code elsewhere) and
> redistribute it under the BSD.

Says who?  A license is something governing the transfer of a physical
copy.  If I don't have a license to distribute a received copy under
the BSD (and the BSD license allows to pass on code without passing on
the same distribution rights), then I can't just magically wish to
have been granted the same rights as somebody else had been someplace
else.