Re: Looking for an open source license..

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: Looking for an open source license..
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 18:50:44 -0500

David Kastrup writes:
> Says who?

Copyright law.

> If I don't have a license to distribute a received copy under the BSD
> (and the BSD license allows to pass on code without passing on the same
> distribution rights), then I can't just magically wish to have been
> granted the same rights as somebody else had been someplace else.

Only the copyright owner has standing to sue for copyright infringement.
If I pull a chunk of BSD-licensed code owned by UC out of your GPLd work
(being careful not to copy anything you wrote) and distribute it under the
BSD what are you going to sue me for?  I've copied nothing of yours.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org