Re: Mixing Licenses ... any hints needed

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Mixing Licenses ... any hints needed
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 19:17:25 +0200

> weimingzhi@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>> this is obviously not what Trolltech intended
>
> Trolltech's "intentions" is smoking gun stuff to invalidate the
> whole scheme once and for all. I still wonder why Wallace didn't
> name Trolltech, Inc., Palo Alto as a defendant in his action (which
> is currently under appeal) right from the beginning...

Because Trolltech does not compete with his alleged operating business
and so he'd look even more silly with regard to his non-existent
standing as he already does?

> Entry number: 118 - Can I now use Qt for free everywhere?
> Answer:
>
> No, this is not the case. You can use Qt for free only if you are writing
> Open Source software following the obligations of the GPL license. You
> will then need to publish the source code of your software for free,
> unlimited re-use and re-distribution by anyone for any purpose.
> -----
>
> Using the Qt Open Source Edition, can I make non-opensource software
> for internal use in my company/organization?
>
> Entry number: 190 - Using the Qt Open Source Edition, can I make
> non-opensource software for internal use in my company/organization?
>
> Answer:

[...]

> Although it is possible to write open source software for internal use,
> it is difficult to ensure that such software is used and distributed
> legally. For example, if your open source software requires any modules
> that impose conditions on you that contradict the conditions of the GNU
> GPL, including, but not limited to, software patents, commercial license
> agreements, copyrighted interface definitions or any sort of
> non-disclosure agreement, then you cannot distribute it at all; hence
> it cannot be given to consultants, employees for their personal
> computers, subsidiaries, other divisions, or even to new owners.
> -----
>
> as exhibits to his complaint.

It would be nonsensical unless he was suing Trolltech, and he would
utterly not have standing to claim damages.  And IBM, RedHat and the
FSF can hardly be blamed for the fantasies of Trolltech.