Re: "GPL requirement could have a chilling effect on derivative distros"

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: "GPL requirement could have a chilling effect on derivative distros"
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 23:54:11 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:
[...]
> The idea of the FSF is that you get access to the source together with
> the binaries.

That's an idea, but its implementation is totally busted (outside the
GNU Republic).

Oh dear. Once again: I've got a CD full of GPL'd binaries (and no
source code on it at all) which I'm going to distribute to you under
contractual agreement imposing forbearance from exercising the rights
granted to you under the GPL by the copyright owners.

17 USC 109, aka "first sale" (also known as doctrine of copyright
exhaustion in Europe), dear.

It's just amazing how many folks are being brainwashed by the FSF.

The GPL gives "freedom" as in the GNU Republic where software belongs
to state (and hence it is regulated by state permits akin to lottery or
gun dealership which are neither contracts nor property rights), and
both 17 USC 109 and 17 USC 117 are simply nonexistent.