Re: "GPL requirement could have a chilling effect on derivative distros"

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: "GPL requirement could have a chilling effect on derivative distros"
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 00:25:16 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:
[...]
> >     However, nothing else grants you permission to modify AND
> >     distribute the Program or its derivative works.  These actions are
> >     prohibited by law if you do not accept this License.
>
> Well, since you are talking about modification AND distribution,
> Hollaar seems to shoot down your interpretation, anyway.

Not at all.

Another legal persons makes copies. And he is in total compliance. I
just distribute those lawfully made copies (he doesn't impose any
restrictions on me because the GPL doesn't require to propagate the
contract along with each copy and make me assent to the GPL). Without
sources, any written offers, and under contractual terms requiring
forbearance from rights granted under the GPL to works embodied in my
copies. It basically turns the GPL'd stuff into binary only "all
rights reserved" with contractual remedies and damages for breach of
contract that I can enforce. Wanna test it in court, dak? I have a
really nice "no more GPL" copy for you. With an autograph on it.