Re: "GPL requirement could have a chilling effect on derivative distros"

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: "GPL requirement could have a chilling effect on derivative distros"
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 19:52:37 +0200 (CEST)

   Alfred, please don't send me copies of messages that are also sent
   to the group. Unless you mark the post "Posted and Mailed" or
   suchlike, it's against netiquette.

It is commont netiquette to CC everyone, and it is specially done so
on GNU mailing lists since non-subscribers can post to the list.

   Yes. If you buy a book, you can sell your copy. That is what first
   sale is about - the copyright holder can control copying, but once
   a copy has been sold (lawfully acquired), the copyright holder
   cannot control what is done with that copy.

Yes, but selling your copy is distribution.  So the person who sold
the copy must accept the license and its terms; otherwise he is not
allowed to sell/distribute it.

I don't see how the copyright holder gets into this mess.

   Selling the original copy is specifically allowed by the Copyright
   Statutes and is not distributing the work.

I disagree, and the copyright statutes that I am familiar agree with
me.  If you buy 10000 copies of FOO (book, CD, ...), and start selling
them it is still distribution.