Re: "GPL requirement could have a chilling effect on derivativedistros"

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: "GPL requirement could have a chilling effect on derivativedistros"
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 21:33:17 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:
[...]
> >> I suppose that you look up "archive" in a dictionary of your choice.
> >
> > Uh, "the material preserved". (See also 17 USC 117.)
>
> Yes, and a preparatory step for creating a CD can hardly be called a
> preservational measure.

I don't see why. A CD may have a defect and/or burner can go kaputt
right at 99%. Hey dak, even Time Warner got it right.

  We note that the initial downloading [for archival purposes under 17
  USC 117] of a copy, from an authorized source to a purchaser's
  computer, can result [be careful, your burner can go kaputt... but
  you should have made archival copies to preserve material at a
  preparatory step for creating a CD -- "initial downloading"] lawful
  ownership of a copy stored in a tangible medium [like a CD].

I take back my remark about a bit of a stretch.

It's no streach at all. Time Warner, after all.