Wallace case FAQ for dummies v1.3

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Wallace case FAQ for dummies v1.3
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 13:05:36 +0200

(This is regular posting. Acknowledgments: aim_here2002)

Q: What the fuck ... !?

A: The context is property. Intangible intellectual property (rights
granted under IP license). IP goods. Property in short.

Q: Gack, but according to RMS, "intellectual property... is a mirage,
which appears to have a coherent existence only because the term
suggests it does." So what the fuck ... !?

A: Well, well, well. But according to one FTC commissioner (and an
antitrust attorney), it is not quite a mirage. "One fundamental
question in this area is whether intellectual property is like
other property for purposes of antitrust analysis. In considering
this question, it seems to me that we should keep in mind some
obvious principles. First, intellectual property is property,
that is to say, it belongs to someone who has the right to
exclude others from using it without his or her consent. Second,
intellectual property has attributes that distinguish it from
personal property and real property -- that is why we have a
different word for it. For example, the enforcement of an owner's
exclusive right to use physical property may be accomplished
more easily, as a practical matter, than enforcement of an
exclusive intellectual property right. Antitrust enforcers should
certainly remain open to considering new ideas about how the
rights associated with intellectual property can and should be
distinguished from the ownership of tangible property in the
analysis of antitrust liability. But for now, it seems fair to
say that for antitrust purposes, intellectual property is
generally treated like other forms of property. Let me add one
qualifier to this general principle, which I hope is not too
confusing. To the extent that intellectual property differs from
other property, such as the duration of the property right, that
difference is a fact that is considered along with all other
facts in an antitrust analysis."

Q: What price restrictions?