Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 21:28:06 +0200

Jay Belanger wrote:

> Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> writes:
> >    "A lunatic cannot enter into any contract at all, because he
> >     does not understand what he is doing."
>
> Since the GPL isn't a contract

The GPL is not a contract only on the GNU Republic. And Eben is a
lunatic. To quote Effects v. Cohen, "We affirm the district court's
grant of summary judgment in favor of Cohen and the other defendants.
We note, however, that plaintiff doesn't leave this court empty-
handed. Copyright ownership is comprised of a bundle of rights; in
granting a nonexclusive license to Cohen, Effects has given up only
one stick from that bundle--the right to sue Cohen for copyright
infringement. It retains the right to sue him in state court on a
variety of other grounds, including breach of contract."