Re: Wallace's reply brief

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Wallace's reply brief
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 00:25:56 +0200

"Ferd Burfel" <ferd@burfel.net> writes:

> What you don't seem to "get", is that the fact that people disagree
> with Wallace, and yourself, is not an indication that they don't
> understand the arguments.  On the contrary, they do understand them,
> they just disagree with them.  I personally have my problems not
> with the GPL, but rather those behind it that wish to use it to wage
> war on proprietary software.  To me, the GPL is fairer to those that
> choose to use it than other licenses are, but some of it's
> proponents talk "choice" out of one side of their mouth, while
> shouting, "down with proprietary software" out of the other.

Uh, you can't blame Stallman for the fantasies people have about his
goals.  It's been always the other side of his mouth, completely
consistently.  It is what made him stop working for MIT, it is what
prompted the GNU project, it is what made him write the GPL.  And he
has never said anything different.  People tend to ascribe various
other motives they'd like to him and then get embarrassed or annoyed
when they find that he says the same things he always said.