Re: What is source ?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: What is source ?
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 14:56:54 +0200

> David Kastrup wrote:
> [...]
>> Could you please cite the passage of the GPL where the licensor, as
>> opposed to the licensee, is required to provide source code?
>
> And from where is the licensee ("as opposed to the licensor") supposed
> to get the source code, retard?

My dearest Alexander, you are thoroughly confused.  The GPL is a
copyright license, and as such is concerned with your rights to the
_contents_, not the media.  The act of obtaining a _physical_ copy is
a separate business from licensing.

The licensor will usually have customer rights that will, after he
pays a software vendor (who may or may not be the same as the
copyright holder), have the right to obtain an intact physical medium
with the content that has been part of the offer he has paid for.

But that is not a contractual obligation in connection with the GPL.
It is a normal business obligation for tangible goods.