Re: license question with non-GPL library

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: license question with non-GPL library
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 18:01:06 +0200

Merijn de Weerd wrote:

> On 2006-08-16, Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote:
> > Man oh man, you're really krank. It doesn't matter how you label computer
> > program works ("application" vs "library" is utterly irrelevant) which work
> > together in combination. In MySQL v. Progress, the Gemini (transactional
> > storage engine) was a "library" (used by MySQL and statically linked to the
> > MySQL code), not "application".
>
> Go read my other post. This question has *NOTHING* to do with
> whether a derivative work has been created.

Apart from Judge Saris, drop an email to The GPL Enforcer Moglen, stupid
Merijn.

http://www.gnu.org/press/mysql-affidavit.html

"The GPL uses copyright doctrine to achieve the result of the principle
that we should all ``share and share alike.'' Thus anyone who combines
GPL-licensed software with other program code must release the combined
work under GPL, and must provide the source code for the entire
derivative work."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Got it now, idiot?

P.S. http://pacer.mad.uscourts.gov/dc/opinions/saris/pdf/progress%20software.pdf

-----
With respect to the General Public License (“GPL”), MySQL has not
demonstrated a substantial likelihood of success on the merits or
irreparable harm. Affidavits submitted by the parties’ experts raise
a factual dispute concerning whether the Gemini program is a
derivative or an independent and separate work under GPL ¶ 2.
-----

So MySQL lost and didn't get an injunction.