Re: GNU licenses

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: GNU licenses
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 07:04:22 -0500

mike4ty4 writes:
> But why forbid it?

To increase the amount of Free software in the world.  You may choose not
to participate.

> ...if I use a GNU library with my non- GNU program, does this mean that I
> have to GNU the whole thing or I'm breaking the license?

If you incorporate GPL code into your program you must GPL the whole
thing.  If you link to a LGPL library you do not.

> It doesn't seem like a good deal to me...

You are free to refuse it.

> why do you want to make other people's code free as a "price" for using
> "free" code?

Why do you want to make people give you money as a "price" for using your
code?
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org