Re: GNU licenses

From: mike4ty4
Subject: Re: GNU licenses
Date: 4 Sep 2006 00:18:48 -0700

John Hasler wrote:
> mike4ty4 writes:
> > Well, I can make both free and non-free software, at least I should be
> > able to.
>
> Yes, of course you can.

OK.

> > Which raises another question: What happens if I learn something from the
> > GNU software, like a "trick" or a more efficient way of programming some
> > algorithm? If I use that METHOD/KNOWLEDGE even if not the ORIGINAL
>
> US copyright law protects expression, not ideas.  Title 17 explicitly
> excludes methods and concepts.  You are entirely free to use what you learn
> from studying Free software.  This is in marked contrast to most EULAs,
> which include such things as prohibitions on reverse engineering.

Thanks. Whew :) I was wondering because I have studied GNU programs
among other things when looking for approaches to solving some sort of
problem and was afraid this meant everything I would make that required
solving said problem would magically become GNU...

> I wrote:
> > Why do you want to make people give you money as a "price" for using your
> > code?
>
> mike4ty4 writes:
> > Because I need the money, for one.
>
> We need the freedom.

Freedom's OK, but I think there's also such a thing as "getting carried
away
with it". True freedom means that one shouldn't be told what to do with
their
own original stuff. That sounds like a "price". It seems they've been
saying
that if you use even one line of GNU code in your program then you are
required by the license to release your entire original program as GNU,
not just that one line. Ie. you "pay" for using the code with the
rights you
previously had to your original work.

> BTW just because you have distributed work of your authorship mixed with
> someone else's GPL work under the GPL does not mean that you cannot also
> distribute the portion that is entirely yours under any terms you please.

Oh, OK. Thanks.