Re: GNU licenses

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GNU licenses
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 22:50:40 +0200

> David Kastrup wrote:
>>
>> mike4ty4@yahoo.com writes:
>>
>> > David Kastrup wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> > Yep. I _need_ the money, for example.
>>
>> Then I suggest that you sell your own work then instead of mine.
>> Why should I be paying your bills?
>
> The question doesn't follow. The GPL doesn't allow selling your own
> work:

Of course it does.  I make a living from it.

> the licensing of rights to your work (and its derivatives) is fixed
> at no charge (recall that Wallace says that price-fixing derivatives
> below cost is unlawful, and that the 7th Circuit Court have yet to
> review his claim "de novo").

Wallace claims a lot of nonsense when the day is long.  Which is why
his cases get thrown out of court for lack of stating a case after
several attempts.

Anyway, you may not charge extra for the act of licensing, but nobody
forces you to make the source available to anybody but your paying
customers.  And most customers will not put up trades of their own to
compete with yours.