Re: Donating Time Series Software to the Open Source

From: Stefaan A Eeckels
Subject: Re: Donating Time Series Software to the Open Source
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 10:26:53 +0200

On Mon, 4 Sep 2006 19:39:46 +0300
"Johann Rost" <johann.rost@profiware.com> wrote:

> I own a time series software package and I would like to donate the C+
> + code to the open source. (Time Series is an area of mathematical
> statistics). I thought of using GPL as license - perhaps dual
> licensing (something like MySQL).. The investment was about 8 person
> years and there are several megabytes of source code and regression
> tests.

Very interesting. I've worked in the statistical field for the past 15
years (collecting time series data so that others can work with it, for
example with FAME). I'm sure quite a few of my colleagues would be very
interested in such a package.

> I cannot maintain a server for this software pagage. So I would
> prefer to upload it to an existing server which has already an
> archive of free software. However I do not know where are such
> servers and what exactly are the steps.

There are a number of organisations that host Open Source Projects for
free:

BerliOS <www.berlios.de>
OpenSVN <https://opensvn.csie.org>
GNA.org <https://gna.org/>
safehaus <www.safehaus.org>
codehaus <www.codehaus.org>
GNU savannah <https://savannah.gnu.org/>
java.net <www.java.net>
javaforge <www.javaforge.com>
Novell <forge.novell.com>

They have various services, such as SVN or CVS version management,
mailing list support, incident/bug reporting tools etc. I suggest you
spend some time on each site to see which suits you best.

Take care,

--
Stefaan A Eeckels