Re: GNU licenses

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: GNU licenses
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 12:15:35 +0200 (CEST)

   > Factually, one can commit murder.  Legally one cannot.

   My point exactly. Glad we finally agree.

We don't.

   If I distribute illegally, I am not bound by the license. See you
   in federal court for copyright infringement. I won't have to see
   you in state court where you try to compel specific performance of
   the license.

What you are basically saying is: If I commit murder, then I am not
bound by the law.  Obviously, you are bound by the law, and in the
case of violating the license, bound by the license.

   And that text in the GPL does not change this one bit.

Actually, it does, if the GPL didn't state this you would be allowed
to do it, you are not, and thus bound by the license.