Re: GNU licenses

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: GNU licenses
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 11:25:51 +0200 (CEST)

   Nor did I say it did. But the profit is not as great with "free"
   software than as with "non-free" software, right? Or is it? I need
   a fairly decent profit. Can I get a decent-sized company and a high
   income (like $100,000/year) selling "free" software? If I sell 10
   programs per day at $30 each then I get $300/day and thus
   $109,500/year avg. Is that possible?

Sure, why not.  RedHat makes a couple millions a year.

   > Nobody here is forcing anyone, be it to make it free software or
   > even open source.  If you wish to use the code, you must abide
   > the license.  You are completely free to not use the code.

   Of course, but I'm disputing the terms on which I have to follow to
   use the code. Haven't you figured that out already?

If you do not wish to follow the terms of the license, don't use the
work.

   So then can I do what I described? Can I make a combined work, put
   that out under GPL (following the license), then take a piece of
   the _original code_ and put it in a non-GPL work and keep that
   non-GPL?  I should be able to, considering that the original parts
   are MY code and NOT somebody else's.

This has been explained to you a billion times now, you are still the
copyright holder of the code you wrote.