Re: GNU licenses

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: GNU licenses
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 23:02:49 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:

> Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> writes:
>
> > David Kastrup wrote:
> > [...]
> >> The GPL creates its own software pool
> >
> > of intellectual property price fixed below the cost of its creation.
>
> Well, that is what is called civilization and culture.  Not having to
> reinvent the wheel, but profiting from the knowledge created by
> others.

Man oh man. Profit = buyer's cost to obtain - seller's cost to create.

Okay?

Now we take the case with distribution of new (we are now going to
create) derivative work of something under the GPL:

   buyer's cost to obtain = 0 (per GPL "no charge" provision)

   seller's cost to create = programmer's salary, energy, etc.

So where is a profit, dak?