Re: GNU licenses

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: GNU licenses
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 10:59:28 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:
[...]
> > Man oh man. Profit = buyer's cost to obtain - seller's cost to create.
> >
> > Okay?
>
> Ok.
>
> > Now we take the case with distribution of new (we are now going to
> > create) derivative work of something under the GPL:
> >
> >    buyer's cost to obtain = 0 (per GPL "no charge" provision)
>
> Wrong.

It's about obtaining rights to WORK (reproduction, etc.), not a cost to
obtain copies (material objects), idiot. Nobody in his right mind will
buy multiple copies if one can buy only one and make the rest himself
at marginal cost around zero. GPL'd stuff can be obtained for free
from the net.

> GPL clause 1:
>
>     You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy,
>     and you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange
>     for a fee.
>
> And that's what makes free software distributors turn a profit.  Now

So how come that Red Hat extricated itself from the retail market?