Re: What is source ?

From: mike4ty4
Subject: Re: What is source ?
Date: 11 Sep 2006 19:45:21 -0700

"Vincent Rivere" <vincent.rivere@free.fr> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> My big question :
> What is source code ?
>

> The GPL states that if I distribute my projet under GPL, I must distribute
> the sources, too.
>

> Can I generate a Makefile using Makefile.am and automake, then only
> distribute Makefile, claiming that it is the source ?
>

> Similar question with images. My program displays a PNG image in its about
> box. It is a very complex image, I made it with Photoshop and a lot of
> layers. Must I distribute the original PSD image in my source package, or
> will the PNG image be sufficient ?
>

> Vincent

The source code means all the code for the program, everything, laid
bare.
That's because that's the form "most suited for modification", as
spelled
out in the license.

A PNG image is modifiable, by the way. It's not a "read-only" format (I
don't believe there IS a "read-only" image format). A lot of image
editors
can open PNG.