Re: Question reguarding GNU FDL license

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Question reguarding GNU FDL license
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:53:41 +0200 (CEST)

   I plan to use Wikipedia articles for some of the basic background,
   thus it will be covered by the FDL, and not one of the easier to
   understand Creative Commons licenses.

The GNU FDL is not part of the Creative Commons licenses, many of the
CC licenses are infact problematic since they can disallow charing a
fee for copies.

   I have no problem releasing all my work for free [...]

I think you mean gratis, if you do, you should have such problem, a
license that disallows charging a fee for copying is not free in any
sense of the word.

   Do I just just put a copy of the FDL in the appendixes along with a
   link to the source files and in the front where the copyright
   notices are, just put the same FDL copyright notice Wikipedia has?
   Is there anything else special I have to do?

You will need to keep the copyright notice that Wikipedia uses intact,
provide a copy of the license in an appendix (or similar, I prefer the
first chapter).  Infact, the GNU FDL has a specific section which you
will be interested in, namely the following:

| ADDENDUM: How to use this License for your documents
| ====================================================

| To use this License in a document you have written, include a copy
| of the License in the document and put the following copyright and
| license notices just after the title page:

|      Copyright (C)  YEAR  YOUR NAME.

|      Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this
|      document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License,
|      Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software
|      Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts,
|      and no Back-Cover Texts.  A copy of the license is included in
|      the section entitled ``GNU Free Documentation License.''

|    If you have Invariant Sections, Front-Cover Texts and Back-Cover
| Texts, replace the "with...Texts." line with this:

|      with the Invariant Sections being LIST THEIR TITLES, with the
|      Front-Cover Texts being LIST, and with the Back-Cover Texts
|      being LIST.

|    If you have Invariant Sections without Cover Texts, or some other
| combination of the three, merge those two alternatives to suit the
| situation.

|    If your document contains nontrivial examples of program code, we
| recommend releasing these examples in parallel under your choice of
| free software license, such as the GNU General Public License, to
| permit their use in free software.

Also, the the `How to use GNU FDL for your documentation', `Tips on
using the GNU FDL', and maybe `How to use the optional features of the
GNU GPL' will be of interest.  They are all avaiable from:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html#TOCFDL

Cheers.