Re: GNU Free Database License

From: Richard Tobin
Subject: Re: GNU Free Database License
Date: 17 Sep 2006 11:57:16 GMT

In article <mailman.7031.1158485020.9609.gnu-misc-discuss@gnu.org>,
Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org> wrote:

>   This is a very odd view.  Have you ever tried producing good
>   definitions for words?

>Yes, I do it each day, it is called naming functions.

"Naming functions" is not "producing good definitions for words".

There is a small amouint of creativity to naming functions.  But I
name functions every day, and I know people who write dictionary
definitions, and I don't see much similarity between the two.

>   If it were true, you would easily be able to find the definitions
>   from, say, the OED freely available online, which is not the case.

>The OED is a bit more than a list of word and definitions.

That's why I said "the definitions from the OED".

>There are
>also other things in the OED that can actually be copyrighted.

You have as yet provided no reason for anyone to believe that the
definitions themselves are not subject to copyright.

-- Richard