Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- Linus' gang: "abandon the current GPLv3 pr

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- Linus' gang: "abandon the current GPLv3 process before it becomes too late"
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 11:30:05 +0200

David Kastrup wrote:

> Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> writes:
>
> > And the benevolent dictator elaborates (on Groklaw):
> >
> > http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20060922134536257
>
> [Presumably a quote, though one can't be sure with Alexander:]

It's in comments section. Check it yourself. Wait... here's some help:

http://www.investorvillage.com/smbd.asp?mb=1911&mn=7150&pt=msg&mid=496517

------
There is an interesting discussion going on on GL, between Linus and PJ,
about GPL3. It's kind of hard to follow because Linus posts as anonymous
and there are so many other "contributors" to the discussion. Here is a
set of links that might be useful in getting through the discussion as
pertains to Linus and PJ.

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20060922134536257#c481727

"Kernel developers' position on GPLv3" Anonymous: simply points to a
lwn.net article

http://www.groklaw.net/comment.php?mode=display&sid=20060922134536257&type=article&pid=481727#c481922

"This is really bad news" Anonymous: complains that lwn comments weren't
"submitted though gplv3.fsf.org"

http://www.groklaw.net/comment.php?mode=display&sid=20060922134536257&type=article&pid=481922#c481977

"This is really bad news" Linus (anonymous): answers above, says "they were",
discussion starts

http://www.groklaw.net/comment.php?mode=display&sid=20060922134536257&type=article&pid=481977#c481978

"This is really bad news" Madscientist: asks Linus about inadequacies
of GPL 2

http://www.groklaw.net/comment.php?mode=display&sid=20060922134536257&type=article&pid=481978#c481991

"This is really bad news" Linus (anonymous): says GPL2 is enough, makes
"scare tactics" connection between GPL3 "curtailing rights" and US's
"war on terrorism" approach curtailing rights

http://www.groklaw.net/comment.php?mode=display&sid=20060922134536257&type=article&pid=481991#c481997

"This is really bad news" PJ: concludes that GPL2 is broken because "Tivo"
happened, implies that GPL3 "fixes" it

http://www.groklaw.net/comment.php?mode=display&sid=20060922134536257&type=article&pid=481997#c482040

"This is really bad news" Linus: calls "bullocks" on that one

http://www.groklaw.net/comment.php?mode=display&sid=20060922134536257&type=article&pid=482040#c482067

"This is really bad news" PJ: Accuses Linus of "argument by putdown" (perhaps
the ultimat in pot-kettle)

http://www.groklaw.net/comment.php?mode=display&sid=20060922134536257&type=article&pid=482067#c482074

"This is really bad news" Linus (anonymous): Ask's PJ to listen to
herself.

It's still ongoing, and gets easier to follow at this point, I think.

People here often discuss the follies of "religious fundamentalism." If
that interests you, then this might too, because it is really a similar
discussion, but in a context that some would claim is not religious.

Wally Bass
------

[...]
> > So get over it. Just admit that the FSF is just a small fringe group
> > of people who don't actually even write any code,
>
> Oh wow.  GCC does not exist, glibc does not exist, Emacs does not

What is Emacs? C'mon, dak. Only (fine nines) retarded fanatics like your
comrade ams use that torturous editor. As for GCC and glibc... most the
code is not written by the FSF. And we all know that Drepper is such a
big fan of RMS...

http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-announce/2001/msg00000.html
(see "And now for some not so nice things." part)

------
This part has a morale, too, and it is almost the same: don't trust
this person.  Read the licenses carefully and rip out parts which give
Stallman any possibility to influence your future.  Phrases like

   [...] GNU Lesser General Public License as published by the Free
   Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or (at your
   option) any later version.

just invites him to screw you when it pleases him.  Rip out the "any
later version" part and make your own decisions when to use a
different license since otherwise he can potentially do you or your
work harm.
------