Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- Linus' gang: "abandon the current GPLv3 pr

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- Linus' gang: "abandon the current GPLv3 process before it becomes too late"
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 21:24:21 +0200

Keith Thompson <kst-u@mib.org> writes:

> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>> Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> writes:
> [...]
>>> What is Emacs?
>>
>> Pretty much the most-used general-purpose editor under Unix-like
>> operating systems.
>>
>>> C'mon, dak. Only (fine nines) retarded fanatics like your comrade
>>> ams use that torturous editor.
>>
>> Care to mention an editor on Unix-like systems that would be used more
>> often?
> [...]
>
> Possibly vi and its derivatives.

Things that are _called_ vi, you mean.

> I have no idea whether vi or emacs is used more often, it doesn't
> matter to me one way or the other, and it's not particularly
> relevant to this discussion, but it's at least plausible that vi is
> used more than emacs.  (Personally, I use both.  No, really.)

More likely something like vim and Emacs.  Not so many people actually
use vi nowadays.

But anyway, vi and its ilk (not derivatives) would fit the flowery
"only retarded fanatics use that torturous editor" hyperbole of Mr
Terekhov equally well: the vi family certainly is at least as
idiosyncratic as Emacs.