Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- Linus' gang: "abandon the current GPLv3

From: Keith Thompson
Subject: Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- Linus' gang: "abandon the current GPLv3 process before it becomes too late"
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 00:36:26 GMT

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
> Keith Thompson <kst-u@mib.org> writes:
>> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>>> Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> writes:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Pretty much the most-used general-purpose editor under Unix-like
>>> operating systems.

>>> Care to mention an editor on Unix-like systems that would be used more
>>> often?
>> [...]
>>
>> Possibly vi and its derivatives.
>
> Things that are _called_ vi, you mean.

No, I meant "vi and its derivatives", and I meant to include vim as a
"derivative" of vi.  My use of the term "derivatives" was fairly
informal; if you don't consider vim to be a "derivative" of vi, I'll
accept that.  (I certainly didn't intend to refer to the question of
what is or is not a "derived work".)

>> I have no idea whether vi or emacs is used more often, it doesn't
>> matter to me one way or the other, and it's not particularly
>> relevant to this discussion, but it's at least plausible that vi is
>> used more than emacs.  (Personally, I use both.  No, really.)
>
> More likely something like vim and Emacs.  Not so many people actually
> use vi nowadays.

I use vim on some systems, nvi on others; the latter is a direct
descendant of the original vi.

San Diego Supercomputer Center             <*>  <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>
We must do something.  This is something.  Therefore, we must do this.