Re: Open source - Free software

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Open source - Free software
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 17:49:55 +0200 (CEST)

   >    > Which has nothing to do with why the NASA Open Source Agreement
   >    > (NOSG) is a non-free license.  I suggest you read section G:
   >    >
   >    > | G. Each Contributor represents that that its Modification is
   >    > |    believed to be Contributor's original creation and does not
   >    > |    violate any existing agreements, regulations, statutes or
   >    > |    rules, and further that Contributor has sufficient rights to
   >    > |    grant the rights conveyed by this Agreement.
   >    >
   >    > I.e. I am not allowed to take code that I have not created and
   >    > combine it with a program which is licensed under the NOSG.
   >
   >    When you take third party code and combine that code with NOSA'd
   >    code, it is neither modification nor Modification, [...]
   >
   > The end product is a modification, yes.
   > The creation that is added

   Is just separate computer program (literary) work (aka software).

A seperate program which is not the "Contributor's original creation".

   Program code A + program code B modifies neither program code A nor
   program code B.

But program A or B is not the "Contributor's original creation".

   E. "Larger Work" means computer software that combines Subject
   Software, or portions thereof, with software separate from the
   Subject Software that is not governed by the terms of this
   Agreement.

Again, nothing to do with this.

For example, you cannot take someone elses NOSA licensed work, and add
it to a NOSA licensed work, since it is not the "Contributors original
creation".  Which is why is is a non-free license