Re: Open source - Free software

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Open source - Free software
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 20:40:18 +0200

Jim Richardson wrote:

[... GNU GPL ...]

> royalties and licence fees are not what was being discussed. We were
> discussion the price one can sell the software for. There is no

Now is broadband era, hello. One can sell MEDIA with GNU freeware on it
(market forces would drive the price down close to recorded media's
marginal cost at some point of course). But why not simply download from
a free catalog/repository like http://directory.fsf.org or some such?
(Buying only copy for a zillion seats to be used in parallel aside for
a moment.)

I'm talking about SOFTWARE: intangible property, kapis?

Suppose the GPL is all fine dandy (no misuse, ha ha).

You can't sell GPL'd intangibles because the property status is
destroyed by the GPL and you can't impose "additional restrictions"
that are used to appropriate and sell public domain under contract
control (see Pro-CD vs. Zeidenberg).