Re: Open source - Free software

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Open source - Free software
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 00:44:35 +0200 (CEST)

   >All free software must be commercial, anyone can charge a fee for
   >the act of distributing it.  Otherwise, it is not free software.

   What makes you think that all freeware prohibits you from charging
   a fee for the act of distributing it?

I didn't write about freeware, I wrote about free software.  Free
software is defined as follows:

* The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).

* The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your
  needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for
  this.

* The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
  (freedom 2).

* The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to
  the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3).
  Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

Cheers!