Re: Open source - Free software

From: Richard Tobin
Subject: Re: Open source - Free software
Date: 28 Sep 2006 23:05:46 GMT

In article <mailman.7568.1159483482.9609.gnu-misc-discuss@gnu.org>,
Alfred M. Szmidt <ams@gnu.org> wrote:

>>>All free software must be commercial, anyone can charge a fee for
>>>the act of distributing it.  Otherwise, it is not free software.

>>What makes you think that all freeware prohibits you from charging
>>a fee for the act of distributing it?

>I didn't write about freeware, I wrote about free software.

You claimed that free software can't be freeware.

You said (of freeware):

  it does exclude free software, since free software by definition
  is commercial software too.

You claim that free software can't be freeware because free software
is commercial, and you explain your assertion that free software is
commercial on the grounds that you can charge a fee for distributing
it.

Supposing we accept that free software is commercial in that sense,
you argument only works if being commercial software in that sense
means that it can't be freeware.  Do you in fact claim that?  If so,
why?

-- Richard