Re: German-GPL victorious in Frankfurt district court

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: German-GPL victorious in Frankfurt district court
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 13:19:56 +0200

Merijn de Weerd wrote:
[...]
> Therefore under German law, once I accept the GPL terms, I have
> a right to redistribute GPL-licensed software. However, I can
> protest unreasonable or illegal terms in the contract

Not according to Welte's friends at ifross/jbb (Jaeger & Co. gang).
Because, they explain, it would amount to "expropriation of the
author" and that "is not a lawful option"!!! Oh poor moronized
district court in Frankfurt.

http://www.cebit.de/newsanzeige_e.html?news=26474

-------
D-Link, which already back in 2004 had had a run-in about a router
with gpl-violations.org, argued that the GPL violated antitrust law
because it featured a price fixing provision and imposed upon the
licensee conditions affecting his/her/its contracts with third
parties. These arguments the judges found to be irrelevant: If the
GPL as a whole violated antitrust law, they observed, then any right
of use to GPL-protected software would be null and void. Thus in
plain English: Availing oneself of the rights granted by the GPL
license while failing to recognize the duties attendant thereon – a
state of affairs that Mr. Jaeger called the "expropriation of the
author" – is not a lawful option.
-------

Now visit

http://digital-law-online.info/lpdi1.0/treatise15.html
(II.K. Misuse Of Copyright)
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Here's more

http://www.techlawjournal.com/topstories/2003/20030826.asp
(3rd Circuit Breaks New Ground on Copyright Misuse)

-------
Holding in Video Pipeline. The Court noted that misuse "exists where
the patent or copyright holder has engaged in some form of anti-
competitive behavior." But, it went on to state that "More on point,
however, is the underlying policy rationale for the misuse doctrine
set out in the Constitution's Copyright and Patent Clause ... Put
simply, our Constitution emphasizes the purpose and value of
copyrights and patents. Harm caused by their misuse undermines their
usefulness."

The Court reasoned that the underlying Constitutional purpose can be
undermined, not only by anticompetitive licensing terms ...

With respect to competition, the Court wrote that "Anti-competitive
licensing agreements may conflict with the purpose behind a
copyright's protection by depriving the public of the would-be
competitor's creativity." ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[...]

The Court also made some other significant statements about the
defense of misuse. It wrote that "Misuse is not cause to invalidate
the copyright or patent, but instead ``precludes its enforcement
during the period of misuse.''" (Citing Practice Management.)
Moreover, the Court wrote that "To defend on misuse grounds, the
alleged infringer need not be subject to the purported misuse."
-------

And now here's what judge Tinder held in Wallace v. FSF (that was
before he got GPL-moronized and dismissed the case on
standing/jurisdictional ground with atterly moronic dicta quoting
from "Heil GPL!" (so to speak) whitepaper from another GPL co-
conspirator at MontaVista). Tinder found that "Plaintiff's Third
Amended Complaint States a Claim Upon Which Relief" can be Granted
and that "Plaintiff's Allegations Sufficiently Set Forth a
Violation of the Rule of Reason". He ruled: "To establish a
Section 1 claim under the rule of reason test, a plaintiff must
prove that "(1) that the defendants contracted, combined, or
conspired among each other; (2) that the combination or conspiracy
produced adverse, anti-competitive effects within relevant product
and geographic markets; (3) that the objects of and the conduct
pursuant to that contract or conspiracy were illegal; and (4) that
the plaintiffs were injured as a proximate result of that
conspiracy." Tunis Bros. Co. v. Ford Motor Co., 952 F.2d 715, 722
(3d Cir. 1991). In this case, it appears that Mr. Wallace has made
the necessary allegations of FSF's unlawful contract and conduct.
In his Third Amended Complaint, he specifically alleges that FSF
conspired with others, including International Business Machines
Corporation, Red Hat Inc. and Novell Inc., to control the price of
available software within a defined market through the GPL.
Primarily at issue in FSF's motion is whether Mr. Wallace has
adequately alleged that the GPL had a resulting anticompetitive
effect.

[... reduction in IP output under GPL price-dumping conspiracy ...]

This may be considered anticompetitive effect, and it certainly can
be inferred from what Mr. Wallace alleges in his Third Amended
Complaint. Therefore, this court finds that the Third Amended
Complaint states a claim for violation of Section 1 of the Sherman
Act, under the rule of reason doctrine."