Re: What DMCA stands for

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: What DMCA stands for
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 14:50:35 +0200

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:

>    > EU Censorship Directive
>
>    What does it have to do with "censorship"?  The point was not to
>    replace one misleading name with a more misleading one.
>
> It isn't misleading, the EUCD (like the DMCA) disallow people from
> sharing, a form of censorship via technical measures.

Censorship is about stopping original content being propagated, not
about stopping the propagation of material copyrighted by somebody
else.  The only part that could be named "censorship" is not being
allowed to distribute programs for the sake of circumventing copy
protection measures.

But that is a minor aspect of the law and should not be used for
naming it: the main problem is not that you are not allowed to tell
others how they can use the content of media they bought according to
their requirements, but that you may not do so yourself.

And that's not censorship, but more like (if we want to use a C word)
confiscation.