Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- raya's research on "The Four Freedoms"

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: GPLv3 comedy unfolding -- raya's research on "The Four Freedoms"
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 15:11:00 +0200

More perspectives...

http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/freedom/ch09.html
(The GNU General Public License)

-------
Although helpful in codifying the social contract of the Emacs Commune,
the Emacs 15 license remained too "informal" for the purposes of the
GNU Project, Stallman says. Soon after starting work on a GNU version
of Emacs, Stallman began consulting with the other members of the Free
Software Foundation on how to shore up the license's language. He also
consulted with the attorneys who had helped him set up the Free
Software Foundation.

Mark Fischer, a Boston attorney specializing in intellectual-property
law, recalls discussing the license with Stallman during this period.
"Richard had very strong views about how it should work," Fischer says,
"He had two principles. The first was to make the software absolutely
as open as possible. The second was to encourage others to adopt the
same licensing practices."

Encouraging others to adopt the same licensing practices meant closing
off the escape hatch that had allowed privately owned versions of
Emacs to emerge. To close that escape hatch, Stallman and his free
software colleagues came up with a solution: users would be free to
modify GNU Emacs just so long as they published their modifications. In
addition, the resulting "derivative" works would also have carry the
same GNU Emacs License.

The revolutionary nature of this final condition would take a while to
sink in. At the time, Fischer says, he simply viewed the GNU Emacs
License as a simple contract. It put a price tag on GNU Emacs' use.
Instead of money, Stallman was charging users access to their own
later modifications. That said, Fischer does remember the contract
terms as unique.

"I think asking other people to accept the price was, if not unique,
highly unusual at that time," he says.

[...]

In fashioning the GPL, Stallman had been forced to make an additional
adjustment to the informal tenets of the old Emacs Commune. Where he
had once demanded that Commune members publish any and all changes,
Stallman now demanded publication only in instances when programmers
circulated their derivative versions in the same public manner as
Stallman. In other words, programmers who simply modified Emacs for
private use no longer needed to send the source-code changes back to
Stallman. In what would become a rare compromise of free software
doctrine, Stallman slashed the price tag for free software. Users
could innovate without Stallman looking over their shoulders just so
long as they didn't bar Stallman and the rest of the hacker community
from future exchanges of the same program.

Looking back, Stallman says the GPL compromise was fueled by his own
dissatisfaction with the Big Brother aspect of the original Emacs
Commune social contract. As much as he liked peering into other
hackers' systems, the knowledge that some future source-code
maintainer might use that power to ill effect forced him to temper
the GPL.

As hacks go, the GPL stands as one of Stallman's best. It created a
system of communal ownership within the normally proprietary confines
of copyright law. More importantly, it demonstrated the intellectual
similarity between legal code and software code. Implicit within the
GPL's preamble was a profound message: instead of viewing copyright
law with suspicion, hackers should view it as yet another system
begging to be hacked.

"The GPL developed much like any piece of free software with a large
community discussing its structure, its respect or the opposite in
their observation, needs for tweaking and even to compromise it
mildly for greater acceptance," says Jerry Cohen, another attorney
who helped Stallman with the creation of the license. "The process
worked very well and GPL in its several versions has gone from
widespread skeptical and at times hostile response to widespread
acceptance."

In a 1986 interview with Byte magazine, Stallman summed up the GPL
in colorful terms. In addition to proclaiming hacker values, Stallman
said, readers should also "see it as a form of intellectual jujitsu,
using the legal system that software hoarders have set up against
them."5 Years later, Stallman would describe the GPL's creation in
less hostile terms. "I was thinking about issues that were in a sense
ethical and in a sense political and in a sense legal," he says. "I
had to try to do what could be sustained by the legal system that
we're in. In spirit the job was that of legislating the basis for a
new society, but since I wasn't a government, I couldn't actually
change any laws. I had to try to do this by building on top of the
existing legal system, which had not been designed for anything like
this."

[...]

5. See David Betz and Jon Edwards, "Richard Stallman discusses his
public-domain [sic] Unix-compatible software system with BYTE editors,"
BYTE (July, 1986). (Reprinted on the GNU Project web site:
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/byte-interview.html)

This interview offers an interesting, not to mention candid, glimpse at
Stallman's political attitudes during the earliest days of the GNU
Project. It is also helpful in tracing the evolution of Stallman's
rhetoric.

Describing the purpose of the GPL, Stallman says, "I'm trying to change
the way people approach knowledge and information in general. I think
that to try to own knowledge, to try to control whether people are
allowed to use it, or to try to stop other people from sharing it, is
sabotage."

Contrast this with a statement to the author in August 2000: "I urge
you not to use the term `intellectual property' in your thinking. It
will lead you to misunderstand things, because that term generalizes
about copyrights, patents, and trademarks. And those things are so
different in their effects that it is entirely foolish to try to talk
about them at once. If you hear somebody saying something about
intellectual property, without quotes, then he's not thinking very
clearly and you shouldn't join."
--------